6 Gift Ideas for the Writer in Your Life
by Regina Lewis
“Mom, what would you like for your birthday?”
I was thrilled to hear the question, but I was stumped to come up with an answer. If you’re anything like me, buying gifts for loved ones is a lot easier than sharing what is on our wish lists.
The truth is, I have been thrilled with whatever my children have bought me. My living space is filled with past gifts like handwritten notes, coffee mugs with my favorite Bible verses, a fuzzy blanket that calms my sometimes overloaded senses. Each gift took precious time to select and was presented with a giving heart, filling me with gratitude.
If you’re struggling with what to buy your writer friends this Christmas, or if you are ready to drop not-so-subtle hints to your friends and family on what you might like, below are a few practical gift ideas that any seasoned or beginner writer will love and appreciate.
- Whether you are looking for a literary agent, a publisher for your book, or a writer’s conference, the Christian Writer’s Market Guide is the go-to resource for writers and makes the perfect gift. Updated yearly, the guide is filled with useful information for writers at all stages. Give one to a friend, or grab a copy for yourself.
- Did you know COMPEL Training has gift memberships? Yep! COMPEL offers training courses for all levels, monthly teachings and an encouraging writing community. A COMPEL Training gift membership is the perfect gift for seasoned and beginner writers. Consider a one-, two-, three-, six- or 12-month gift membership.
- Buy a gift card for your writer friend so they can book a stay at an Airbnb or hotel for some uninterrupted writing time.
- WordPress.com offers their users a way to enable gift subscriptions on their site, where website visitors can pay to renew a WordPress plan. What an easy way to support your writing friend’s ministry over the Christmas season and beyond!
- Is “update website” on your friend’s (or your) wish list? Etsy has loads of WordPress and Squarespace theme options that can be purchased using an Etsy gift card.
- What writer doesn’t love receiving a gift card for books and other writing resources? A gift card from the Proverbs 31 Bookstore is a great gift for the book lover, or an Amazon gift card is a great gift for writing tools such as pens and journals.
During the Christmas season, we put a lot of thought and effort into finding the “perfect gift,” as we rush from store to store, battling the crowds, all in the hopes of finding something the recipient will long remember. John 3:16 tells us we already possess the most perfect Gift of all in Jesus! However you choose to express generosity and gratitude this Christmas, remember what is most important — the eternal gift of Jesus Christ.
What are some ways you will support your writer friends this Christmas season? Share in the comments.
February 13, 2024
January 30, 2024
January 16, 2024