In May, COMPEL Training challenged our members to submit a compelling blog post that encourages and equips other writers with wisdom they have learned in their own writing journey. Today’s blog post is one of five winners of that challenge and was written by COMPEL Member and published author Micah Maddox. Continue reading to be inspired by her words and her unique writing journey.
When I first felt called to write, my main goal was to get published. I thought to be a published author was God’s calling for my life, and once the task was complete, I would feel complete. I quickly learned a book deal was not the end of my calling, but only the beginning.
While it was amazing to see my words in print, there were many more words to write. If I could go back to my pre-published self and offer a few simple words of advice and encouragement, here is what I would say:
- Writing a good book proposal might take as much time as writing the book.
- Acquiring an agent who is passionate about your message is one of the most valuable steps in the journey.
- Letting other people into your writing life might save you from embarrassment with words that should never be shared.
- Editing is not personal. It is practical and needed.
- Your book is not for everyone, but it is for someone. Keep working on it little by little because someone is waiting to hear your message.
- Keep writing. Some of your best words might come after some of your worst.
- After the book is complete, begin again.
- Relax and don’t feel like this book is your only chance to say all you have to say. More words will come tomorrow, the next day or the day after that. There might even be another book.
No matter how long your journey is to becoming a published author, don’t get stuck in the trap of thinking being published is the ultimate goal. Every word before and after publication is a victory in your writing journey.
Writer’s Block and How To Move Forward
March 28, 2023
Combating Loneliness With a Writing Community
March 14, 2023
You Are a Writer
March 7, 2023
Excellent advice for me to have! I am new to this process and have no idea what to expect. I have gotten a writing coach and she may be agent? Not sure. She is guiding me personally through the process of writing a proposal and I’m hoping will help me with with editing process but not sure how all of it works. You keep going too, God isn’t done with you yet!
Loved this so much! Thank you for the advice.
This was amazing. Such sound and practical advice- not to mention encouraging!!!!
Nice to read the tips… I guess I didn’t think of a book publishing… but I do need to.
Self-publishing has changed the print world… how would you suggest dealing with the differences?
It is so nice to hear this message from a Compel Member! I can totally relate. I have published a book, and I would like to start a blog as well. This messages gives me both hope and inspiration. Thank you, Micah. Congratulations on this great accomplishment.
Very encouraging words, friend! Love your heart and the wisdom God gives you!