5 Steps to Self-Publishing Your Book
You’ve stared at that sticky note 100 times. The one with the book idea on it that you have poured your heart and soul into but cannot seem to get a publishing house to “bite” on. You’ve spent many hours writing proposals, pitches and chapters for this same idea you just can’t stop thinking about.
The publishing industry isn’t what it used to be, and self-publishing has become a leading publication platform for writers in the last five to 10 years and a viable option for writers when a traditional publishing house is not an option. The wonderful truth is that you can self-publish well, and your books can be successful outside of a publishing house if you desire. You may be wondering where to begin. If you are interested in self-publishing your book, here are a few basic steps you can take to get started:
- Write that book proposal if you haven’t already. Writing a proposal isn’t just for a publishing house — it is for the author. By doing the work of breaking down marketing information, chapter outlines and the basics of your book, you will have a better plan of attack as you begin your self-publishing journey.
- Assemble your team. Self-publishing isn’t a solo activity, contrary to how it sounds. Every writer needs a support team. This team consists of not just your cheerleaders but a qualified editor, content editor, proofreaders, interior and exterior designers, and possibly even a publishing or writing coach. Each of these pieces are essential, so don’t skip them or cut corners if you want your work to be the best it can be.
- Be realistic. Don’t set a hard and fast timeline that is unrealistic. The average time it takes to write and fully publish a book is a year to two years, depending on the size of your project.
- Don’t be afraid. We can’t let the fear of striking out on our own keep us from even beginning. Talk to other writers who have self-published books and walked through the process. Take their advice to heart and follow through on it.
- Know it will be hard work. There is a lot that goes into publishing a book, but it is not an impossible task, and you can do it. Ask for help on the hard days, and lean on your team for support.
Although self-publishing may seem daunting, you can make progress on your goal — and finally release that book you’ve been dreaming of — by following those five steps. You’ve stared at your book idea long enough! 2022 is the year of finally making it happen. I am cheering you on!
Have you considered self-publishing? Below, share where you are at in your journey and any helpful tips!
February 13, 2024
January 30, 2024
January 16, 2024